Tuesday, November 2, 2010

First

For all human endeavors there must be a first step.  This is true for retirement also.  The first day of the well-earned leisure part of life.

I found myself unburdened by tasks I may not have completed or decisions not made for the first time in over 40 years.  My conscience is as clear as fine crystal.  It occurred to me that my whole working life was like being in a diamond mine---a shaft or tunnel where you picked shiny bits of matter from the earth.  You only got to keep part of the haul; most of the profit went to your employer.  Then comes retirement and you wake up that morning still in the mine, but the tunnel has given way to a gigantic cavern-- the roof sparkling like the night sky over the desert;  the walls studded with the bright matter that is so precious.  Now all those diamonds are yours to keep and do with as you will----new experiences, opportunities to expand your mind, no-one to answer to for your choices.......

Except remember the dog's vet appointment at 8:30..............

6 comments:

clairz said...

And to think that I was worried about you with your beautiful new retirement days--this is the best description of the coming delights that I have ever read!

Now, what are you making me for breakfast?

Anonymous said...

My life should be so rough. Got nothing to get up for and no retirement fund that will kick in to let me "enjoy" this nothingness.

So happy for you!! Enjpy!

L T

Anonymous said...

Bill, I'm sooo jealous. Congratulations and enjoy every minute of it. Tanya

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your retirement. Your blog post is very inspiring. Who knows when I'll be joining you.

RZ

Anonymous said...

Bill, I wondered how I ever actually worked for all of those years. The grind is the right name for it even if you enjoyed whatever you did. The idea that you got up and went off to the mine or whatever is mind boggling. We do what we have to do support our family/lifestyle. Once we find out that there is something else it is imperative that we learn how to deal with it or we become lost. Life s so short and here today and gone to Maui is a truism that one can't disregard. So on with sleeping in and not making plans and enjoying life!! Bon voyage and to all a good night. fred

Delia said...

One my favorite posts!!! Love you Dad!