Thursday, April 29, 2010

For What It's Worth



This post is about that Arizona law again. Here are a few links commenting on the new anti-brown people law. Yes, they are not from Fox News or some right wing website but they are well written and thought out so I'd recommend them to you:

Arizona Burning from The Nation An editorial appearing in today's edition

Desert Derangement Syndrome from the New York Times Another opinion

Civil Rights Lessons from China from The Atlantic's James Fallows who spent the last couple of years reporting from the PRC.

I like Arizona. I tease my wife that when I retire I will lose my teeth, grow my hair long. sport a scruffy beard, and get a job as one of the gunfighters who prowl the streets of Tombstone. I really want to ride a mule to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and camp on the less commercialized "North Rim." Sounds like a helluva good idea for our 30th wedding anniversary.
But the powers that be in the G C state have ended these dreams----no way will I bring my chihuahuas without papers to such a locale!!!

Stephen Stills had it right all those years ago:

"Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
You step out of line, the man come and take you away
We better stop, hey, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down
Stop, hey, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down
Stop, now, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down
Stop, children, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down."

For What It's Worth Buffalo Springfield

Even with 10% plus unemployment, I don't see a lot of "Americans" lining up for those agricultural jobs in the fields...............



No comments: