Thursday, June 18, 2009

Home???

So I flew back east to see relatives, specifically my 96 year-old aunt who just had a surgical procedure for a growth on her breast. It occurred to me as the plane descended through the night sky above Connecticut that I might be coming home. But that really wasn't a relevant thought. I left that state over 30 years ago. While I may have grown up there, it hasn't been my home for a long time.
Why these thoughts? Because the night before I left we signed a listing agreement on the house we bought 2 years ago. Imagine trading in a beautiful large ranch-type home for a 80 year old adobe with a dirt cellar in a village over 20 miles from the nearest Lowe's Home Improvement Center.








But what a beautiful view from back yard:






Those trees mark the location of the Pecos river.


It's in Pecos NM. All I can say is that this is the one place on earth where I can truly say that I've had a personal religious experience. The first time I descended into the big kiva at what was once a major trading place between the pueblo and plains Indian culture....

It was a feeling that I really can't articulate. It's just the RIGHT place. Hopefully you readers have found that same place for yourself but I hadn't until I found Pecos. Now we have the opportunity to move to this magical place.









This post is being entered from a motel room with the delightful view of I-95 in southern CT. The road has been a parking lot for cars and semis for over 2 hours. I may have been born in this city but it definitely is NOT my home.

1 comment:

clairz said...

Well, all I can say is that there is a whole crew of pirate dogs waiting for you to get back to your present New Mexico home. Your wife, too!

It's peaceful here, no traffic, great weather.

Loved reading your feelings about Pecos.