Friday, October 8, 2010

And They Were Gonna Name Me Fred........

When I arrived at the mud shack from the Mesilla Valley Animal Services shelter, my parents needed a name for me.  Since we'd only been acquainted a few hours (and I spent a lot of that time in the Nargle with the other pirates) they weren't sure what to call me.  They went out to breakfast and solicited suggestions from the wait-staff---Chile Pepper, Gabriel......They had an old Frommer's Guide to New Mexico and tried place names---Zuni, Raton, Moriarty.......All pretty yucky.
Then came people they knew.  And they considered Fred for quite awhile.  One of their friends here is named Fred.  They also considered naming me after Frederich Nietzsche, the philosopher.  Something called the "existential question", which in New Mexico is "Red or Green?"----as in which chile sauce on your meal..........
But the Red Sox and the cocker spaniel won-----They remembered the magical year and the pitcher Pedro Martinez, current 2nd baseman Dustin "Little Pete" Pedroia, and mom's first pet, a cocker named Pete.  So here I am, christened Pedro Little Pete Martinez Z---newest and smallest of the Pirate Dogs.......

4 comments:

clairz said...

Little Pete has settled in so well that we would have a hard time finding a time to get a good shot of him--he is moving at the speed of light this morning, joyously galloping from one end of the house to the other, in and out of the doors, and all around the yard. I'm just guessing here, but I'd say that he is one happy little pup!

Anonymous said...

Pedro is adorable. Lucky him!

T & A S

Anonymous said...

cute puppy.................'FRED'..........how could you??

D T

clairz said...

Hey, hold on there, Anonymous #2. Our human friend Fred is nothing short of adorable!