Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Losing Ground?

So 2009 , the year just finished, was all about Darwin and evolution. The 200th anniversary of his birth. The 150th anniversary of the publication of his masterpiece The Origin of Species.

If you listened to all the talking heads and watched any of the specials you got the feeling that evolution had culminated with modern Man. Did it??? I would refer you to this link that was on Google news today: dolphins as humans. When I was in college I wrote a short story about a future where humankind had ceded its mastery of the planet to other species. The final paragraph was a description of a dolphin's tears as it proudly stood on the moon, surveying all the garbage humans had left to despoil the lunar landscape. It won a prize for short story fiction and got published in the school's literary gazette.

Need more proof about evolution continuing beyond humanity?? I present as evidence Gilbert Arenas. This yahoo makes how many million dollars a year??? And now he's lost it, hopefully permanently. Like Roger Clemens---I remember hearing him speak and thinking that if he couldn't throw a fastball like he did, he'd starve because there wasn't enough grey matter in his skull to allow for his survival.

I don't have a problem with professional athletes making money. Their careers are short and their physical prowess must decline with age. I really have a problem with the idiot franchise owners in professional sports who entice talents like Michael Vick or Kevin Garnett to eschew their education and "turn pro." Garnett seems okay, Vick had his dog days and served time for them. Arenas and Clemens are evidence we may someday be surpassed by another species on the Tree of Life. And I hope I'm not around to see it. Go Dolphins---and I don't mean the Miami football team...........


No comments: