Tuesday, March 17, 2009

How the Mighty Have Fallen


I have always loved San Francisco.  To me, a perfect evening is dinner at The Stinking Rose, then browsing through Lawrence Ferlinghetti's City Lights bookstore.  Those were days.......

I remember after one visit I came home and we tried to duplicate the ravioli, stuffed with potato, garlic, and cheese I'd enjoyed at The Stinking Rose.  We made the dough from scratch, rolled it out, formed and cut the ravioli.  There were three batches of dough--one had carrots added, one spinach, to give it color and texture as well as the plain white flour ravioli.  We used to make linguine and spaghetti from scratch, as well as gnocchi, redoing whole batches if the fork marks in the dough weren't just so.

Then, last Saturday, there was an end cap display at Albertson's---3 for $5.00 Hamburger Helper, lasagna-, beef stroganoff-, and salisbury- flavored mixes.  Don't know why but we bought some.  The stroganoff wasn't bad, the lasagna was awful.  We might try the last flavor this weekend.  I think it's time for a trip to the Bay Area or at least The Owl.  

  Be still, my taste buds........................

No comments: