Friday, December 26, 2008

Channeling

My late mother-in-law's birthday is this week-end. See http://zeesgowest.blogspot.com/ for a more serious treatment of this occasion. But Weets Elva has her own take---she channels her grandmother.

As can be observed in these pictures, Weetz (left) looks like "E" (right). Note especially the silver top knot of hair.

Now Weets has a personality like "E" as well. I used to call my wife the "old bat." "E" would call every Saturday morning very early CA time. I'd usually answer and call the old bat to the phone. "E" went over 10 years thinking I said "It's the old bat", not "It's for you, old bat." Needless to say this was a source of tension, unknown to either my spouse or myself, in the relationship with her mother. "E" could also be short when speaking to someone and rather insistent that her ideas and caveats be followed. A lot like Weets' nagging and harping at the other Pirate Dogs to go check out the outside or go to the window and harass some poor passers-by.

It would be fair to say we miss "E" and really wish she could be here to interact with the small doggie grand-daughter who has her hair, expressions, and communicative talents so well emulated. Then again, Weets does such a good job of channeling her that we think of her and appreciate her all the time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know now that you mention it I believe I have heard this story about "E" and Weets before...
Happy Birthday to "E" and just remember that everyone/everything comes back -- Weets just may be your mom-in-law in a pirate disguise!!! sb